- Planning and Development
- Strategic Research Documents
- Unfunded and Partially Funded Research Needs
- Research Funding Guidebook
- Federal Research Programs
- International Research Programs
- State Departments of Transportation Programs
- Transportation Research Board
- University Transportation Centers
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: What Are the Characteristics of the Research You Would Like to Have Funded?
- Chapter 3: Which Research Program is the Best Fit for Your Research Statement?
- Chapter 4: More About Proposed, Ongoing, and Completed Research
- Chapter 5: General Advice and Summary
- Appendix A: How to Write an Effective Research Statement
- Appendix B: How to Submit Updates to this Guidebook
- Appendix C: Contributors
Strategic Issues Facing Transportation, Volume 3: Expediting Future Technologies for Enhancing Transportation System Performance
New technologies continually arise that could be useful to DOTs and MPOs. This report presents a process (Systematic Technology Reconnaissance, Evaluation, and Adoption Methodology or STREAM) to compare these technologies to alternatives on the basis of their likely effects on agency goals, including consideration of barriers to implementation. STREAM’s use is illustrated in three case studies. This report will be useful to research units within state DOTs and other units responsible for evaluating new technologies.