- Planning and Development
- Strategic Research Documents
- Unfunded and Partially Funded Research Needs
- Research Funding Guidebook
- Federal Research Programs
- International Research Programs
- State Departments of Transportation Programs
- Transportation Research Board
- University Transportation Centers
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: What Are the Characteristics of the Research You Would Like to Have Funded?
- Chapter 3: Which Research Program is the Best Fit for Your Research Statement?
- Chapter 4: More About Proposed, Ongoing, and Completed Research
- Chapter 5: General Advice and Summary
- Appendix A: How to Write an Effective Research Statement
- Appendix B: How to Submit Updates to this Guidebook
- Appendix C: Contributors
Pavement Preservation Research Problem Statements
A workshop was held in Sacramento on June 2 1 -22,2001, to develop research problem statements related to pavement preservation. The workshop was a ioint effort among the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), and the Foundation for Pavement Preservation (FPP). The California Department of Transportation hosted the 2-day meeting.
Participants at the workshop included FHWA, AASHTO members, FPP members, and academia. Dr. Jon Epps of Granite Construction, Inc., facilitated the meeting.
The purpose of the workshop was to gather practitioners from various maintenance disciplines around the United States to discuss research needs in the pavement preservation arena. The outcome was to be a series of problem statements that the partners could promote for funding and study.
A total of 50 research problem statements were initially identified and grouped in the following areas:
1 . Construction practices,
2. Materials selection and design,
3. Treatment strategies and selection,
4. Performance evaluation,
5. Training, and
The participants prioritized the proiects and the number of proiects was then reduced to a total of 22. Project statements were prepared for each of these topics.
This report was prepared documenting the findings of the workshop and the resulting research proiect statements. The report is available from FHWA or FPP.