- Planning and Development
- Strategic Research Documents
- Unfunded and Partially Funded Research Needs
- Research Funding Guidebook
- Federal Research Programs
- International Research Programs
- State Departments of Transportation Programs
- Transportation Research Board
- University Transportation Centers
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: What Are the Characteristics of the Research You Would Like to Have Funded?
- Chapter 3: Which Research Program is the Best Fit for Your Research Statement?
- Chapter 4: More About Proposed, Ongoing, and Completed Research
- Chapter 5: General Advice and Summary
- Appendix A: How to Write an Effective Research Statement
- Appendix B: How to Submit Updates to this Guidebook
- Appendix C: Contributors
A Research Program for Improvement of the Highway Capacity Manual
TRB Research Circular E-C081: A Research Program for Improvement of the Highway Capacity Manual describes a research program designed to improve the Highway Capacity Manual (HCM). The proposed program was developed by the members of the TRB Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee with the assistance of feedback from users of the HCM. The program includes 38 research studies that would provide a means to permit improvements to the present HCM and upgrade future editions to meet user needs.